[Qgis-developer] Use of autoconnect slots?

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 16:01:09 PST 2017

Hi all,

Just want to raise a discussion about this. What does everyone think
about these and whether we should be using them in code?

I'm currently leaning toward opening a QEP for blocking them in new
code. Reasons are:

- they are very fragile. Renaming a widget will break the connection
without any compilation error.
- they make searching for widget use harder. You can't use QtCreator's
handy "find usages" option (or the equivalent in other IDEs). You have
to resort to a plain text search.

I'd much prefer to see explicit connections made using new style
connects so we gain the compile time error if anything breaks the
connection.

Thoughts? Is it worth me submitting a QEP regarding this?

Nyall