[Qgis-developer] Merge QGIS Resource Sharing Plugin into core

Akbar Gumbira akbargumbira at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 12:08:36 PST 2017

Hi Ale and All,

First I want to apologize that I could not take a look at some PR's
recently for new styles, but Anita and Ale are doing great job giving some
time to look at them. So thanks to both!

Unfortunately the implementation is rather different.
> But of course I suggested Akbar to try to re-use any existing code from
> other parts of QGIS and I'm pretty sure he did

Yes, the implementation is quite different . IIRC I tried to put plugin as
a resource and it worked fine after creating its handler. But it was just a
'dirty curious' work. I need to take some time to think thoroughly the best
way to have them both in one big architecture.

I agree with Nyall too on both points. As I mentioned in the final report,
there are some room for improvements, one of them is to make a good set of
unittests (I am ashamed of myself as some people called me as the unittest
guy and yet I abandoned it on this plugin :)). And it's also not replacing
Style Manager.

Since I couldn't really give some love for this plugin right now (probably
until this summer), if anyone wants to maintain it, please let me know and
I will register you as collaborator. Ale and Anita are already contributors
too to the repository. And if there is a chance for me to work on this
again for GSoC 2017, I am eager to apply once more. But this is something
that I need to talk to my supervisor and depending on this semester result.
Or whether I need to take 'official' internship. So maybe in February I
will know exactly what to do for this summer. But for sure, I will keep my
eyes on this. So keep discussing :)

Cheers