[Qgis-developer] Proposal: Having all Processing providers as independent components

Alexander Bruy alexander.bruy at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 23:45:06 PST 2017

I want to raise this discussion again.

Currently in Processing we have two kinds of algorithm providers:
- providers which are available in all major platforms out of the box
(e.g. GDAL, GRASS, maybe SAGA and OTB)
- "special" providers which require user to install additional components
(R, TauDEM, LiDAR tools)

Maybe as a first step we can move those "special" providers into separate
plugins? I almost sure that they used only by advanced users who can install
required dependencies. So such move should not harm most our users and
reduce maintenance overhead.

--
Alexander Bruy