[QGIS-Developer] Parallell processing, OpenCL

johnrobot johnrobot at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 04:56:41 PDT 2017

Where does QGIS stand on supporting parallel processing/OpenCL/CUDA? About a
year ago, I opened a ticket about using OpenCL/CUDA in QGIS,
https://issues.qgis.org/issues/14680, but it was closed almost immediately.
The suggestion was to solve this outside of QGIS. Is that really all there
is to it? Is there nothing that can be done in QGIS to improve the
situation? Running on a single CPU core for most cases is starting to seem a
bit out of date.

In this example, QGIS seems to be many hours slower than Manifold Radian,
http://www.georeference.org/forum/t136609.41 and https://www.mapd.com/
promises “leverages the parallelism of GPUs to achieve orders-of-magnitude
speedups over CPU solutions, powering exploration of big datasets with near
zero-latency”. That speed would be a great addition to QGIS. If I see a
funding request or a grant proposal in this direction, I will definitely
support it.

Regards,
Magnus