[QGIS-Developer] native XYZ layers - zoom level

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 08:54:40 PDT 2017

Hi Olivier

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 3:44 PM, Olivier Dalang
<olivier.dalang at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi !
>
> I reported a bug some days ago about the new XYZ layers. It seems only the
> first 19 zoom levels are displayed. I write here since I'm not sure the bug
> gets attention in the tracker : https://issues.qgis.org/issues/16665
>
> Here we are working with drone photography and zoom level goes up to 22 or
> 23. This makes the native XYZ layers unusable for us, which is sad because
> it's a very convenient way to distribute large rasters to our users.

Actually this is already implemented. In QGIS 3.0 there is also GUI to
configure the min/max zoom level for XYZ tiles. In QGIS 2.18 it is not
available in GUI, but it can be still configured when adding XYZ tiles
layer in Python - one just needs to specify "zmin" and/or "zmax"
parameters in data source URI.

> Martin Dobias, from what I understood, you implemented this in QGIS ? Many
> thanks, it's an awesome feature, an works very well even with poor internet
> connection. I assigned the bug to you, but am not sure it's a polite move
> without asking ? I'm currently looking at the source to see if I can spot
> how to fix this.

In general it is better not to assign developers to bugs unless they
told you so in a prior discussion. It can also confuse others to think
that a bug/feature is being actively worked on while it is not. If you
want to make someone aware of a particular bug, you could add them to
the list of watchers of a ticket, so they get notified...

Regards
Martin