[QGIS-Developer] Keyword args for python bindings?

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 19:33:08 PDT 2017

Hi all,

Been thinking about this lately, with all the excellent work which is
being done on sipify and improving the usability of the PyQGIS through
docstrings and such... do we want to also turn on named argument
support for PyQGIS methods?

I gather it's just a matter of adding the annotation KeywordArgs=All
to function definitions. We should be able to code this into sipify to
handle this automatically.

I'd see the big benefit here would be readability of python code - no
more someMethod( True,False, 5, None) deciphering!

The downside would be that the argument names would become part of
stable API. We've still gots lots of unhelpful argument names (things
like 's', 'c',.... ), so that's a potential downside if these get
locked in (although maybe we can fix them before freeze).

Thoughts?
Nyall