[QGIS-Developer] QGIS project XSD

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 02:45:20 PDT 2017

On 30 June 2017 at 19:39, G. Allegri <giohappy at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Seems like a huge amount of administrative overhead to me. A small
>> change to the project format could result in massive amounts of
>> required changes to the xsd.
>>
>> Given that now it's safe to have multiple QgsProjects at once,
>> couldn't you instead just load the project and retrieve the desired
>> information using the QGIS API directly?
>

> Yes Nyall, it's ok until you can use the QGIS API :)
> You know that system integration often must rely on standard formats to
> exchange information in a decoupled way.
> QGIS is more often integrated in heterogeneous environments where it's not
> always possible (or it would be an overhead) to install and use QGIS libs.

I'm curious to how usable this will be still - given that the project
format can vary even between minor point releases. How do you plan to
practically be able to parse QGIS files? Even server (with the source
included along with the main QGIS source) tried this approach and
found it ultimately unworkable.

Nyall