[Qgis-developer] QgsGeometry, Geos and SFCGAL

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Sat Mar 11 15:07:21 PST 2017

On 03/11/2017 04:26 AM, Nyall Dawson wrote:
> Instead, a better approach is if we selectively change certain
> operations to use a different backend only after we carefully evaluate
> the results for each individual operation concerned. E.g. if we found
> that SFCGAL resulted in intersections which are equally reliable as
> GEOS, and faster in the majority of geometries, then we'd change
> QgsGeometry::intersection to ALWAYS use SFCGAL.

SFCGAL is not very actively developed, in its current shape is not the
best choice to build upon. It either needs more active participation
from the community, or better funding. Since the initial funding dried
up, the activity in the project slowed to a crawl.

I'm considering removing the SFCGAL support in the PostGIS Debian
package if the situation doesn't improve. For the same reasons I'd be
reluctant to enable its support in QGIS if that were to arrive.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--
 GPG Key ID: 4096R/6750F10AE88D4AF1