[Qgis-developer] Future of spatialite provider?

a.furieri at lqt.it a.furieri at lqt.it
Mon Mar 13 03:52:02 PDT 2017

On Mon, 13 Mar 2017 11:28:45 +1000, Nyall Dawson wrote:
> I'm wondering what the future of the spatialite provider should be. I
> find it odd that spatialite layers utilise the dedicated spatialite
> provider, but geopackage layers use the OGR provider.
>
> I think there's potential value in removing the spatialite provider
> and always reading these layers via OGR.

+1

less complexity = more efficiency = stronger standardization

I personally advocated to adopt such an approach one or two
years ago; maintaining an ad hoc QGIS provider simply adds
more unrequired complexity with no obvious benefits.

thanks to the magnificent work of Even Rouault the OGR
sqlite/spatialite/gpkg provider is very stable and affordable,
it's frequently updated and it's very quick in supporting the
most recent cool features introduced by subsequent updated
versions.
Even more important: many other GFOSS components (e.g.
MapServer) are based on the OGR provider, so switching
from the QGIS provider to the standard OGR provider
will obviously facilitate a smoother and more consistent
integration between different tools/apps.

bye Sandro