[Qgis-developer] ShapeTools XY to Line

C Hamilton adenaculture at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 11:21:40 PDT 2017

Recently I implemented an 'XY to Line' function in the ShapeTools plugin.
This has been requested several times and I needed it so I implemented it.
See

http://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/shapetools/

XY to Line is similar to the ArcGIS tool with the same name.

http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/tool-reference/data-management/xy-to-line.htm

In my plugin I have only implemented "Great Circle" lines as well as a
simple line between the two points. How important would it be to implement
other geodetic line types ie GEODESIC , RHUMB_LINE, and NORMAL_SECTION. I
had the code for Great Circle so it was easy to implement, but I don't know
how to implement the others. I have seen some of the suggestions with
drawing these lines by using custom azimuthal equidistant (aeqd) projection
or a gnomonic (gnom) projection centered on the starting point, creating a
simple line, densifying it, then projecting it back to the projection being
used. See

http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/133026/great-circles-in-qgis-and-export-in-3857-webmap

Would this technique work to create the other types of geodetic lines and
if so what would the proper proj4 projections be? Is there a better way to
do this? Do you think that Great Circle is sufficient?

Another question I have is whether there are other ArcGIS functions that
are missing in QGIS that would be good to implement.

Thanks,

C. Hamilton