[Qgis-developer] Wiki page/area for 'Building QGIS from scratch'

Mark Johnson mj10777 at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 22 03:17:29 PDT 2017

> > Can you live with a wiki version ?
>
> > - if not I will stop it
>

>> Hi Mark,
>

>> if you insist ( and I see you do :-) ):
>
> Well, nobody said it should be stopped

>> Then PLEASE create a system in which you make it clear
>
> WHICH version of QGIS you are trying to build on
>
> each page had that

> WHAT version of Linux/Ubuntu
>
> this was missing, but the topic is building from scratch and that method
is independent on the version being worked on

> on WHICH Qt version (and other lib versions)
>
> in all cases already stated

Just before your note came I had just finished adding an extra heading on
each page with the library name and version.

In the case of Qgis an extra 'Qgis 2.99 master (as of 2017-03-20)'
- which is the first thing that will be outdated

The original tenor of this thread was were one could place such experiences
in building the project, and the first place they will look for this is the
project site itself.

Being very version dependent, placing it slightly outside the development
documentation (which I assume has more to do with the project API), seems
to me wiser.

Most of the pages were written during this process, that is now completed.
That is why, before continuing, went though the pages, cleaning this up and
adding a more descriptive heading.

Your hard work now, will be outdated within 6 months, I'm afraid.
> It will only be 'historical' knowledge then...

the methods described how to resolve problems that occurred, in many cases,
will not be historical.
The last page added today, resolving specific problems, will defiantly be
valid for many years to come.

As you have quoted, if it is not desired, I'll stop.

Mark