[Qgis-developer] API: how to get URL of WMS layer if different to layer.source()

Tom Chadwin tom.chadwin at nnpa.org.uk
Thu Mar 23 04:02:46 PDT 2017

Hello all

I've not come across this before, but a user has connected to a WMS and
added a layer. layer.source() returns the URL used *in the WMS connection*:

http://geomap.reteunitaria.piemonte.it/WEBCAT/CAPABILITIES/wms_coto_ortofoto_1979.xml

However, to get that WMS layer to appear in a webmap, I have to use the URL
which WMS GetCapabilities returns for that layer, which is different:

http://geomap.reteunitaria.piemonte.it/mapproxy/service?

So my question is, can I retrieve that second URL via the QGIS API? How does
QGIS do it itself?

Alternatively, is is possible that the user is in error in having used the
address he did to connect to the WMS?

Hoping I'm not facing the same issue I've had before: no Python bindings for
the WMS provider (or for any provider), but still thought I'd ask.

Thanks

Tom

-----
Buy Pie Spy: Adventures in British pastry 2010-11 on Amazon