[QGIS-Developer] OTB 6 and Processing

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Tue May 16 03:53:15 PDT 2017

On 16 May 2017 at 19:40, Ricardo Filipe Soares Garcia da
<ricardo.garcia.silva at gmail.com> wrote:
> It's looking great :)
>
> Having processing algs run in the background will really improve the user
> experience IMO.
>
> Having the possibility to use expressions in order to define parameters
> dynamically is really awesome too! In your video demo you effectively turned
> the fixed distance buffer algorithm into a variable distance buffer (maybe a
> hint that we'll need only one of those from now on?) ;)

That's the plan. Things won't scale well if we require separate
algorithms every time a parameter needs to be bound to a field or
expression (e.g. it's only a matter of time before someone needs a
"expression based buffer" alg), so the intention here is to allow
"data defined" parameters wherever it makes sense.

This has the potential to be very powerful. Imagine parameters within
models utilising expression variables, and some future "set variable"
processing algorithm....

Nyall