[QGIS-Developer] API Freeze for 3.0 (was "Feature freeze: Paid developer activities for QGIS 3.0")

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 13:33:11 PDT 2017

On 2 November 2017 at 21:26, Andreas Neumann <a.neumann at carto.net> wrote:
> yes, API is frozen now unless some major issue arises that really needs a
> change.

I don't believe this is true - I haven't seen anything official, but
personally I consider API freeze to occur no sooner than final
release!

There's still many code areas which need API clean ups, and doing this
during bug fixing is a great way to identify the weak areas and
improve them. It also makes bug fixing much easier!

Since feature freeze there's been a number of api breaks, some
extremely large [1] and others just clean ups [2]. There's also open
PRs which break API (e.g. [3]).

I wouldn't suggest digging far into upgrading PyQGIS code in plugins
until much closer to release, but I would suggest upgrading the things
which won't be changing (Python 3, Qt5, PyQt5).

Nyall

[1] https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/5491
[2] https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/5488
[3] https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/5512