[QGIS-Developer] discuss: What's our development gameplan for 3.0 and above?

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 13:29:10 PST 2017

Hi all,

I started a discussion at
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/5559#issuecomment-342974170 but I'd
like greater exposure for this discussion and more feedback, so that
together we can determine what our preferred development approach is
for 3.0 and up.

The question is:

****
Is it our preference to use Qt classes and methods wherever available,
or should we use std algorithms or raw library methods instead?
****

The question in that PR results from a choice of either using
QSqlDatabase methods for accessing a sqlite database OR using some
basic c++11 wrappers around the raw sqlite3 api.

In general my current preference goes something like:

1. use std implementations
2. use qt classes only when they save us work or there's no alternative

Personally I'm just slightly dubious of qt upstream's current ability
to maintain the qt core and gui libraries, and would prefer to lessen
our dependence on them (where it makes sense.. i.e. isn't causing us
more work!)

But I'd like to know everyone's thoughts here, so that we're all
coordinated with our approaches. I'm happy to go with the consensus
view here, and would prefer a common approach than a mix of approaches
across the codebase.

So what's your thoughts?

Nyall