[QGIS-Developer] Segmentation fault with 'Create raster icons' on and loading a WMS... opinion to remove the preview feature?

Luigi Pirelli luipir at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 08:02:38 PDT 2017

Hi

related with issue: https://issues.qgis.org/issues/16803
I strongly agree with Nyall, Pedro VenĂ¢ncio and Giovanni Manghi to
remove this feature.
The rational is:

1) fix seems hard to find (QgsRasterLayer::previewAsImage is triggered
4/6 times and at aqvery refresh => not useful)... hard bu not
impossible.
2) hard to find utility in a so little preview
3) who want to spend dev time on fixing it is welcome :)
4) Avioid crash is better than a having a not so important feature.

I'll prepare a PR to remove only the option into "Settings ->
Options... -> Canvas & Legend -> "Create raster icons (may be slow)"
default is Off.

any opinion?

Luigi Pirelli

* Boundless QGIS Support/Development: lpirelli AT boundlessgeo DOT com
* GitHub: https://github.com/luipir
* Mastering QGIS 2nd Edition:
* https://www.packtpub.com/big-data-and-business-intelligence/mastering-qgis-second-edition