[QGIS-Developer] Search Layers Plugin

C Hamilton adenaculture at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 14:06:02 PDT 2017

I just reuploaded this plugin to the QGIS repo.

http://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/layersearch/

Last year I uploaded this, but I was asked to see if some of the other
search projects and in particular the Quick Finder folks would include this
type of search capability; however, I found that Quick Finder developers
really were not interested as this search does not follow their way of
searching. They either use remote services or preindex local layers. When
searching on layers I certainly don't want to pre-index unless I am doing
the same thing daily. Eventually, I deleted this plugin from the repo.

The reason I decided to resubmit it is because it is just plain useful and
there was a user over the weekend who requested this capability. I pointed
him to where my code was located at and it did just what he needed.

Given that there is not a plugin that does a search like this and can allow
examination of the results while the search is operating I just think it
should be included and in the event that some other developer decides to
enhance their searching to the point that it is as easy as this plugin,
then I would be happy to have it deprecated, but until then people might as
well make use of it.

I went back through the code and simplified it some what and made it a
little better.

Thanks,

Calvin