[QGIS-Developer] Inconsistency between Query builder and Select by query dialogs

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Fri Sep 15 09:26:26 PDT 2017

Hi Paolo,

I asked the same question, but apparently there are technical reasons.

The Query builder creates a query that a data source can understand
(e.g. OGR) - data is filtered at its source.

Whereas the expression builder is much, much richer and can't be
translated to filters of data providers. Thus, such data filtering can
only be done in the client - means that all features are requested from
the source and then filtered client side.

I don't know if it would be technically possible to restrict the
expression builder to a subset that a data provider can understand - so
that the user can have just one interface, both with a limited set of
operators and functions.

Andreas