[QGIS-Developer] QEP for QGIS 3D

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Tue Sep 26 19:11:37 PDT 2017

Hi

> On 27 Sep 2017, at 3:16 AM, Martin Dobias <wonder.sk at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all
>
> I have just submitted a QEP that describes QGIS 3D implementation I
> have been working on:
> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/issues/105
>
> Your input is very appreciated. Maybe there are some areas I have not
> covered in enough detail...
>
> You may have seen that I have already opened a pull request for
> inclusion of 3D work:
> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/5203

+1 from me to see it merged for QGIS 3!

I think it would be good to include in the QEP a list of things it **doesn’t** do yet to manage expectations. Showing it to other people here are some FAQ things that might be good to answer:

* can it replace the main canvas view when enabled?
* can it fetch DEM tiles like globe does?
* can it work with CityGML and similar 3D formats?
* can you print it in composer?
* can you put the 3D view into full screen?
* can we control it like the new multi canvas windows (follow main windows extents etc)?
* can we animate stuff?
* can we use custom textures for different faces?
* can we make triangular / pyramid roofs?
* can we drive the extrusion parameters from data in the vector attribute table?
* can we use a library of common symbols (tree, house etc)?
* will it replace globe?

You have probably been peppered by hundreds of other similar questions by overly enthusiastic 3D groupies so managing expectations that this is a first pass implementation would be good to manage expectations by including these in the changelogs and the docs.

Thanks so much for this great work Martin!

Regards

Tim