[QGIS-Developer] Reword "Trusted Plugin" --> "Trusted Plugin Author"?

delazj at gmail.com delazj at gmail.com
Sat Sep 30 02:57:28 PDT 2017

Hi,

My personal feeling after reading this thread is to hide to users this trusting condideration. I can't find short text that really expresses Ale's description above.
I guess there might be other plugin authors that deserve this status, do not feel comfortable with the current presentation in the plugin manager but didn't express themselves. And considering that even among Core contributors this status wasn't clear, i'd not be surprised to have users or IT services misinterpret it and use it as a quality filter.
Let's it be an internal concern, hence pull request at https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/5272

If we want to promote well-known/involved community members (and not all are plugin authors), we'll need to find another way.

Regards,
Harrissou

Le 9 sept. 2017 13:23, Richard Duivenvoorde a écrit : > > On 09-09-17 10:42, Alessandro Pasotti wrote: > > > > Sorry if I repeat myself, this is just to clarify what the "trusted" > > flag is, and why it was introduced. > > > > The trusted flag has nothing to do with being a core dev or having > > CI/tests: it's a permission flag in the DB, tied to the user who "owns" > > the plugin (the maintainer). > > > > When a new plugin is submitted, Paolo (please correct me if I'm wrong) > > checks the plugin for mandatory metadata and he makes a > > quick/superficial evaluation, if the plugin does not look particularly > > suspicious or misses some mandatory metadata he approves it straight away. > > > > But the a.m. procedure is pointless and can be totally avoided if the > > plugin comes from a well known member of this community when there is > > "trust" because of proven record of good plugins or code contributions > > or personal knowledge, beers together in the greenhouses at night etc. > > etc..  > > > > So this is all what the "trusted" flag is about: skipping the boring and > > time/consuming procedure of approving plugins for the well-known members > > of this community (and the delay that it causes) . > > > > Let me say it again:the only difference between a "trusted" user/author > > is that he can approve and publish the plugins by himself. > > > > The problem started when we decided to advertise the "trusted" flag on > > the plugin manager, I see two options here: > > > > 1. go back to the pre-trusted times and hide that information from the > > plugin manager > > 2. reword/rephrase > > 3. add some other flags at the DB level (feel free to make PRs) > > > > I would go for 2. but please keep the new sentence in sync with the real > > meaning of the "trusted" flag: I believe that all core developers should > > be "trusted" (just ask Paolo or any other admin and it's just a click) > > but I would not restrict the "trust" to core devs: there are many other > > members of this community that I'd give trust even if they are not core > > devs. > > Thanks Alessandro for this refreshment, > > looks like we are two things mixing up here; > A) making approving of plugins easier by giving label to AUTHORS > B) promoting/giving preference to certain 'wellknown' PLUGINS > > And actually we have mechanisms for both! > > For A we have this 'trusted author' label to make Paolo's work easier > (and let's make it clear: trust IS often a personal thing, which is hard > to hand over to others). > > For B we have the 'Starring' mechanism: at > http://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/ AND in the plugin manager > you can 'vote' for a plugin by clicking on one of the stars there. > > Given that most users actually do not care too much about the personal > trust between authors and community/admins, I would go for Alessondro's > first option: > > 1) remove that coloring/sentence from the manager (as it does not prove > anything about the quality of the plugin too) > > 2) give the 'Starring' of plugins more weight in the applications: > - make the 'Stars' more visible in the plugin manager by moving them to > the top of the information in the plugin dialog > - make it more clear that you can VOTE stars for a plugin in the plugin > manager > - make the stars visible when you search for plugins (now only the names > are shown): > http://plugins.qgis.org/search/?q=pdok > > IF somebody wants to dive into the plugin Django application, maybe we > should we could maybe refine these mechanisms (like make it only > possible to add stars when you are logged in or so?), but looking at > them now, we actually had everything pretty well laid out? > > Regards, > > Richard Duivenvoorde > > _______________________________________________ > QGIS-Developer mailing list > QGIS-Developer at lists.osgeo.org > List info: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer > Unsubscribe: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer