[QGIS-Developer] Keeping OTB algorithm in qgis processing

Giovanni Manghi giovanni.manghi at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 03:22:28 PST 2018

Hi all,

> Only small updates are needed to turn it into plugins. I can turn them
> into plugins and
> publish if there is an agreement about this approach. Then I will be
> happy to transfer
> ownership to any interested person.

I could take care of the description files of such plugins (as I do it
in the core providers), but... I'm not really sure about removing
GRASS and SAGA from QGIS installers. Is true that most if users don't
do any analysis, but having hundreds of tools (that we know for sure
will never be implemented as native QGIS tools) out of the box was and
still is a very important "selling" point. I ask to please take this
decision keeping this aspect in mind. Regarding SAGA LTR I understand
the frustration pf many Linux users (I'm among them), but we have to
look also at the big picture, and that is Windows. After having
decided to support only SAGA LTR (because we know we can't keep the
pace with non LTR SAGA underlying changes) we are now finally at a
point (at least in QGIS 2.18) where users can reliably count with this
tools.

cheers!