[QGIS-Developer] [GRASS-dev] External providers in QGIS

Victor Olaya volayaf at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 02:32:02 PST 2018

> OTB's proposed solution was that plugin or provider algorithm if activated
> can find otb installation. If not found, there is code which will download
> and install otb packages and configure it for users.

I still don't see why this cannot be done if OTB provider is a separate
plugin. Users can install a plugin with the provider, and then that
provider can have the logic to automatically download OTB, install it, or
do whatever is needed in case OTB is not found already installed.

I think is is good to educate our users a little bit. We are talking about
people that will be using complex algorithms for performing advanced
analysis. I guess we can expect that they can install a plugin themselves
and it is not a traumatic experience for them... Looks like installing a
separate plugin it's some sort of cruel chinese torture...when it takes
just 3 mouse clicks.

I agree with Giovanni, there is no need to provide something that has
everything installed out-of the box. Also, take into account that reading
the files that contain the algorithm descriptions takes time (plus, there
might be some additional checks performed when populating the toolbox).
People not doing analysis should not have to suffer that extra loading
time...

About the R plugin not being available now...well, it's in a separate repo
and can be adapted to QGIS 3, packaged and published. No one has taken care
of that, it's true, but that only means we have no R support. If the R
provider was be in core, it would mean that we would have a dead or
malfunctioning provider being shipped with QGIS. That is a much worse
option. And I dont see why, if someone is willing to fix that R provider,
having it in core will make it easier.

Cheers!