[QGIS-Developer] QGIS 3.0 Soft Feature Freeze

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Wed Jan 3 00:51:26 PST 2018

Hi

> On 03 Jan 2018, at 02:34, Denis Rouzaud <denis.rouzaud at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Ok, let me re-word option 2 as:
>
> "2. Carefully manage release expectations, with detailed explanations
> of known issues and regressions in the release notes. Stress in press
> releases/release notes that 3.0 is a new major release and that the
> QGIS team do not consider it a suitable replacement for the current
> stable LTR release, and that it is highly recommended that
> organisations do not replace their existing QGIS 2.x installations
> before careful in-house testing and evaluation of its suitability for
> their workplace. The next stable LTR QGIS release will be QGIS 3.2."
>
> I agree on release asap knowing it might not be the most stable release ever.
> But, I would make sure
> * we have a serious effort on bugfixing prior to the release and following it

The bug fixing programme already started - I believe there are still funds to support bug fixing so those interested should register with Andreas (who can also confirm if there are still funds available). Agreed it will be good to step it up over this month as we ramp up to release.

> * we do not release with severe AND prominent known issue

Sure if it is corrupting your data or what have you it should be held back.

> * we have a shorter dot release cycle (maybe once a week or switch to nightly builds) to avoid waiting too long for fixes

-1 from me for this. I think this is really going to screw around with Jürgen’s workflow - lets try to minimise churn and just slot into the standard workflows as much as possible.

Regards

Tim

> Best regards,
> Denis