[QGIS-Developer] Fresh QGIS3 misses all kind of 'default' options on first start

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Wed Jan 10 03:53:28 PST 2018

Hi Devs,

Currently if you start QGIS3 for the first time, all kind of default
options (from the Options Dialog) are not yet 'saved' to QgsSettings().

To test:
- remove ~/.share/local/QGIS
- start QGIS
- choose 'I want a clean start. Don't import my QGIS 2 settings.'

Now in Python console type:

QgsSettings().value( "help/helpSearchPath" )
which will return an emtpy list (of search paths)

Open Settings/Options/System properties and see there is:
https://docs.qgis.org/$qgis_short_version/$qgis_locale/docs/user_manual/
in Documentation paths there.

NOW click OK and

>>> QgsSettings().value( "help/helpSearchPath" )
['https://docs.qgis.org/$qgis_short_version/$qgis_locale/docs/user_manual/']

So Question: is there a way to 'silently' save all those options for a
fresh user? I'm not so familiar with how those dialogs are constructed,
so can we 'submit' all tabs in one? Or should we submit them one by one?

Ah, it appears that clicking OK once from whatever tab will 'save' (at
least this path) to QgsSettings()...

Otherwise, current situation will be that a new user upon clicking
any(!) help button will always be shown with the daft "Oops! QGIS help
is currently not available. This is likely because: ... " message.

See also:

https://issues.qgis.org/issues/17670

https://issues.qgis.org/issues/17598

Regards,