[QGIS-Developer] Last call for switching to github issue tracker

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Fri Jan 12 06:31:39 PST 2018

Hi,

I think the biggest question: who does all the work to migrate from
Redmine to Github while not loosing all our history?

The migration attempts so far haven't been very convincing.

And I don't think that Redmine is so bad usability wise. I agree, the UI
is not as sexy as Github, but it does its job well. It is much more
powerful for finding and filtering. The issues we had with the slow
performance was fixed when moving to a new Machine at Hetzner. The main
argument for github is in my opinion not ease of use - but the
integration with the code base - that is definitely a strength of github
issue reporting.

To undermine that github is not easy to use for non-dev users: last
Wednesday at the Swiss QGIS user meeting I was in the meeting for QWC2.
Users had no idea at all how Github works and could be used for issue
reporting. One had to explain it to them and teach them how to use it.
To assume that using github is self-explanatory for non-tech users is a
wrong assumption.

Andreas