[QGIS-Developer] Translation state of master

Alexander Bruy alexander.bruy at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 23:51:04 PST 2018

> Another reason to move to Transifex was that it was hard to do
> translation in a group, as there is just 1 ts file. So doing some fast
> group translations was impossible without clear coordination about WHO
> was now translating.

IMHO this is not true. Using Linguist together with git you get wonderful
hostory tracking and conflict resolution which is not possible at all with
transifex.  I'd say that this is transifex who can not be used without
huge coordination efforts. For example, if two persons translate same
string in transifex only last translation will be saved, while using Linguist
and Git you will get conflict and can choose more correct version.
Also it is not very easy to split stings in blocks for each translator as in
transifex we lost not only visual context but also logical contex, it is not
possible to see which string belongs to which class/widget. With Linguist
I can easily split text into blocks, e.g. by classes/widgest or in alphabetical
order.

Personally we, Ukrainian team, don't use transifex because of its terrible
interface, missed context and unability to work in group. Instead we use
own Git repo with ts file and Linguist for translations. Final file uploaded
to transifex time from time.

I don't think that agrument about transifex attracting more people can be
seriosly taken into account, as most of these new people just reguster, join
team and do nothing.

Just my 2c.
--
Alexander Bruy