[QGIS-Developer] QEP: Projects in PostgreSQL

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 06:22:53 PDT 2018

Hi Syd

On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 1:17 PM, Syd Visser <sydv at sjgeophysics.com> wrote:
> Martin
>
> a general comment on
>
> “All references to files will be saved as absolute paths “
>

> why does things have to be absolute path especially if you eventually will
> design for Geopackage that is suppose to simplify portability

The note about absolute paths applies only to projects stored inside
PostgreSQL database - in database one cannot really use relative paths
simply because in the database there is no concept of paths (project
has no path to turn other absolute paths to relative). Anyway it is
assumed that if users want to keep projects in PostgreSQL, their
layers would be most likely also coming from the database.

As for absolute vs relative paths in QGIS projects, more recent QGIS
versions use relative paths by default (configurable in project
properties dialog). So, if I store a project in
/home/martin/myproject.qgs which refers to layers from
/home/martin/data/mydata.gpkg, then the project file only keeps the
path as ./data/mydata.gpkg. If that is not the case for you then it
must be a bug.

Regards
Martin