[QGIS-Developer] Call for upgrade of Qt library in osgeo4w to 5.10.1

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 15:20:40 PDT 2018

Hi all/Jürgen,

I'd like to raise a call for the version of Qt in osgeo4w and the QGIS
windows builds to be upgraded to 5.10.1 (or at least 5.9.4).

I've been watching the bug tracker following the release of 3.0 and
trying to fix crashes where I can, but there's a LOT of strange crash
reports coming from deep within Qt internals on the windows builds.

E.g.

https://issues.qgis.org/issues/18566
https://issues.qgis.org/issues/18528
https://issues.qgis.org/issues/18498
https://issues.qgis.org/issues/18483
https://issues.qgis.org/issues/18570
https://issues.qgis.org/issues/18569
https://issues.qgis.org/issues/18260
https://issues.qgis.org/issues/18548 (this is a duplicate of 18260)
https://issues.qgis.org/issues/18470
https://issues.qgis.org/issues/18460
https://issues.qgis.org/issues/18306

I'm at a loss how to proceed with these, and I'd like to rule out
underlying issues in Qt as the cause. I've also personally seen many
crashes with the 3d functionality on windows (again, from deep within
Qt3d internals), which I believe are usually caused by graphics card
drivers... BUT... Qt3d is a relatively new component and I'm sure
we're missing many upstream fixes by not running on 5.10.1/5.9.4.

Would you be in favour of bumping the version?

Cheers,
Nyall