[QGIS-Developer] QGIS MSsql Provider

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 21:12:06 PST 2018

On Tue, 20 Nov 2018 at 20:00, Georg Aufhauser <office at kommunaldialog.at> wrote:

> Dear QGIS-Developers
>
> We are  very interessted QGIS Project as we are currently providing local authorities in Austira with a Time Based GIS Solution GeoTime (http://kommunaldialog.at/index.php?id=45). At the moment we are supporting GeoMedia and ArcMap (Oracle and SQL Server). We are planing to shift our developement focus from these two GIS-Solutions to QGIS. For our costumers it is a must have that the GIS-Software is supporting ARCs. Our developement team has reviewed the code of the MSsql provider and thinks that the latest version does not support MSsql Server 2012 (Geometry Version 2) with ARCs. Is there further developement going on at the moment to implement ARCs? If not we will have to make the necessary developement by ourselves. And of course share it with the community. We have a wide experience in developing drivers for various GIS solutions (ArcGis PlugInDatasource, GeoMedia Data Server, etc.). It would not be a problem for us to develop extentions for QGIS. However if there is currently developement in this direction we do not want to do work again which has already been done. We would be happy to share our expertise with the communtiy.

I don't believe anyone else is actively working on this feature, but
it sounds like a very valuable contribution.

FYI - oddly enough, the SQL server provider currently supports ADDING
and CHANGING feature geometries with curves, you just can't READ
these! That's because the write support uses geometry::STGeomFromWKB
and geometry::STGeomFromText to create SQL Server geometries, but read
support is done directly using the raw SQL Server geometries.

Nyall