[QGIS-Developer] Early 3.4 point release?

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 03:57:58 PDT 2018

On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 11:48 AM Giovanni Manghi <giovanni.manghi at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Matthias,
>
> > > The problem here is the "known" part: if we had more testers on the
> > > nightlies during the two weeks before the release date, we would
> > > probably have catched some of these regression in time to fix them.
> >
> > Agreed, the more testing the better.
>
> serious manual/semi-automated testing (of most functionalities, on the
> 3 major platforms, using multiple type/versions of QGIS and endpoints,
> etc.) is a full time job, I know because  I was lucky enough to have
> done it for a year and half. Without this type of effort we will
> always rely on reports sent in by people that find issues here and
> there while doing their normal workflow, which is ok but also has a
> good chance of not finding a number of serious bugs.
>
> cheers!
>
> -- g --

Giovanni,

I'm not talking about the test cycles a company could run, but if we did a
call for testers and prepared a page with instructions, we may have had a
dedicated group of people (users) who is willing to help the QGIS project
running test cyles, and as I said, going through the current
lessons/tutorial may be sufficient.

So, the plan would be:
1. prepare a page about how to run tests (based on the lessons/tutorials)
2. ask the community via email, twitter, whatever, to join the effort of
running test cycles when the code freezes
3. before any new release GOTO 2

I don't know if that will work, but worth trying.

--
Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it