[QGIS-Developer] Bug #21460? | is QGIS non-commercial?

Benjamin Ducke benducke at fastmail.fm
Mon Apr 8 02:04:36 PDT 2019

Hi Paolo,

On 08/04/2019 10:30, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> Hi Cory,
>
> On 08/04/19 00:57, Cory Albrecht wrote:
>> I was wondering when Bug #21460
>> <https://issues.qgis.org/issues/21460> was going to get some attention?
>> It's about  QGIS not forming proper PostGIS SQL updates correctly,
>> specifically for null values.
>
> may I suggest you an interesting read?
> https://nyalldawson.net/2016/08/how-to-effectively-get-things-changed-in-qgis/

There is a (common) problem with that text
and your reply that is increasingly giving
my headaches when thinking how to advertise
QGIS among colleagues:

Quote (from the URL above):

"unlike the commercial GIS offerings"

This suggests that QGIS is a non-commercial
project.

But a few lines further down we read:

"either organisations who offer commercial QGIS
support"

"if you hire a core QGIS developer to make your
changes"

These are clearly commercial offerings/activities,
and people are being advised to make use of them.

To be clear: I don't think there is anything wrong
with that. But I think that it is misleading to
present QGIS as "non-commercial". It is open
source and non-proprietary, in the sense that no
single individual or institution owns the rights
to it. But commerce is clearly part of QGIS now.

As I see it, there are two "honest" options:

(1) Stop calling QGIS non-commercial and keep
advising people to hire developers for fixing
bugs and implementing features.

(2) Keep calling QGIS a non-commercial project
and stop advising people to hire developers
to fix bugs or develop features for them.

Best,

Ben