[QGIS-Developer] Bug #21460?

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 02:34:14 PDT 2019

On Tue, Apr 9, 2019 at 11:16 AM Matthias Kuhn <matthias at opengis.ch> wrote:

> Hi
>

> I wonder, what is the best way to answer a question like
>
> > I was wondering when issue x is getting some attention?
>
> Assuming
>  - that "issue x" is very important for a user who asks the question
>  - that "issue x" is one of 3000 open issues for a developer
>
> The best for the user would obviously be someone replying "Oh sorry, I
> missed that one. I'll have a look immediately".
> But in reality, unfortunately we all have limited time resources. So this
> just would not be true. To me informing people "how to get things done" is
> not the nicest answer to get, but it's a very honest one.
>
> With all best intentions
> Matthias

Hi  Matthias,

I cannot agree more, I think that we (developers) are in general very happy
if we can help anyone that has an issue with QGIS and we do everything we
can to help, but unfortunately the users are many, the issues are also many
and we definitely need to feed our families and our pets (that's basically
the same that not having enough time for unpaid work).

So, I also think that we are giving an honest answer.

I personally get a little bit upset when people push too much (basically
asking me to work for free to solve their problems), on the contrary I'm
usually very happy to help someone that is asking politely.

What it is important to stress is that hiring someone to fix an issue is
not the only way to get things done, for instance I am generally more happy
to help someone who I know as a very active member of the QGIS or
open-source community, because I know that there is a fair balance between
what this person gives and takes.

On the other end of the scale are some corporate users that I imagine are
saving a lot of money by using QGIS and give back just nothing.

Last but not least, as RĂ©gis pointed out, we have some funds for bug-fixing
before the releases, the donations from the sponsors and from the users
make this possible and these funds can act as multiplier for the
unpaid-volunteer bug-fixing work that inevitably continues after the
releases.

Let's just find the best way to communicate this to the users, Nyall's
posts looks good to me but I really like the idea of having translations
and culture-specific texts to better explain the concept.

Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it