[QGIS-Developer] Bug #21460?

Jonathan Moules jonathan-lists at lightpear.com
Tue Apr 9 10:00:00 PDT 2019

Hi Andrea,

As always, I agree with you, but one thing:

 > After all, the GPL license is really clear on the matter: "THE ENTIRE
RISK AS TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE PROGRAM IS WITH YOU.
SHOULD THE PROGRAM PROVE DEFECTIVE, YOU ASSUME THE COST OF ALL NECESSARY
SERVICING, REPAIR OR CORRECTION"  Throwing one's frustration at the
developers that shared code under the above conditions, while somehow
understandable, really does not make sense and helps nobody.

To be fair you get the exact same conditions if you throw six digit sums
to the proprietary vendors too. FME (https://www.safe.com/legal/fme-sla/):

"Limited Warranty: the Software is provided “AS IS” and with all defects
and errors. ... TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, SAFE
SOFTWARE MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, AS TO
MERCHANTABILITY, USE OF REASONABLE SKILL AND CARE, OR FITNESS FOR ANY
PARTICULAR PURPOSE. WITHOUT LIMITING THE GENERALITY OF THE FOREGOING,
SAFE SOFTWARE ASSUMES NO LIABILITY FOR DAMAGE TO ANY SYSTEM ON WHICH
THIS SOFTWARE IS INSTALLED, FOR CORRUPTION OF ANY DATA TRANSLATED BY THE
SOFTWARE, OR FOR LOSSES ARISING IN THE EVENT THIRD PARTIES ARE ABLE, FOR
ANY REASON, TO USE OR ACCESS THE SOFTWARE OR YOUR DATA OR SERVICES
WITHOUT CHARGE."

ESRI
(https://assets.esri.com/content/dam/esrisites/en-us/media/legal/ma-translations/english.pdf)

"3.3 General Disclaimer. Except for the express limited warranties set
forth in this Agreement, Esri disclaims all other warranties or
conditions of an kind, whether express or implied, including but not
limited to, warranties or conditions of merchantability, fitness for a
particular purpose, ... Esri does not warrant that Esri Offerings or
Customers operation of the same will be uninterrupted, error free, fault
tolerant, or failsafe *or that all nonconfirmities can or will be
corrected*..."

(my bold at the end). Pretty much every software license ever says "this
software won't necessarily do what you've paid for it to do".

The only real difference is that with FOSS, you /can /pay to get it
fixed. With proprietary, even paying isn't a guarantee (Esri explicitly
say so as you can see in my bold).

Cheers,

Jonathan