[QGIS-Developer] Canonical way to customize QGis toolbar icons within themes?

Sebastian M. Ernst ernst at pleiszenburg.de
Wed Apr 10 12:17:53 PDT 2019

Hi all,

I am looking for a/the canonical way to customize QGis toolbar icons
(or, in general, the icons of certain actions throughout QGis), like for
instance the icons for "New project" or "Open project" as part of a theme.

Themes can contain icons and reference them, see for instance here:
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/tree/93e761dd2396af21db9bb93e26d7cba680c906ca/resources/themes/Blend%20of%20Gray

Is there possibly a way to use *.qss style sheets to point to specific
actions in QGis, e.g. the "new project" action, and modify their icons?

Or can I modify icons of certain actions through a plugin at runtime?

What I have messed with so far: I can overwrite icons in ...
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/tree/93e761dd2396af21db9bb93e26d7cba680c906ca/images/themes/default
... and rebuild QGis from source. It appears that the icons become part
of the binary or one of its libraries as compiled resources.

Best regards,
Sebastian