[QGIS-Developer] Some thought on LTR

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Mon Aug 5 09:05:11 PDT 2019

Hiii all,

On 05/08/19 11:10, Matthias Kuhn wrote:
> On 8/5/19 1:00 AM, Nyall Dawson wrote:
>> On Fri, 2 Aug 2019 at 18:13, Matthias Kuhn <matthias at opengis.ch> wrote:
>>
>>>     d) Stop shipping bugfixes (hint: joke, that makes the LTR concept
>>> pointless and anyone can do that today already by sticking to the .0
>>> patch release ;) )
>> Actually - jokes aside - this does raise a good question.
>>
>> We've never (as far as i know) formally defined about what the goal of
>> the LTR is. Is it:
>> 1. a version of QGIS with every bug fix possible backported
>> or
>> 2. a version of QGIS with only absolutely critical bugfixes
>> backported, such as security risks or data corruption bugs
>
> That's a very good question.

thanks, very important indeed. I assumed we decide for 1.
In fact, experience showed that it is preferable to be more
conservative, and only include fixes with very low chances of
regressions. I don't see a way to decide other than relying on the
developer's assessment. The only (costly) improvement I'd see is having
another independent core dev to check any bugfix before accepting it.
Cheers.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair: