[QGIS-Developer] shp file from /tmp file are seen as memory-layers?

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Tue Dec 3 00:50:41 PST 2019

On Tue, 3 Dec 2019 at 18:43, Richard Duivenvoorde <rdmailings at duif.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Wanting to test something temporarily, I copy an (arbitrary) shp file to
> my /tmp dir (on Linux).
>
> I open the shp file (via the Data Source Manager) and browse/open the
> shp in the /tmp dir.
>
> The shp opens fine, BUT in the layermanager I see the little 'memory'
> icon, as if this is a memory layer??
>
> Also: if I try to close the project (after or before saving it), I get
> the warning "This project includes one or more temporary layers. These
> layers are not permanently saved and their contents will be lost. Are
> you sure you want to proceed?"
>
> Strangely, if I reopen a saved project, the shp (as memory layer) is
> opened fine.
>
> BUT... these are not really temporary layers.. these are real shapes
> (well, in my /tmp dir, but... as long as I do not restart they are there
> and should work... I think).
>
> Is this by design? Or is it a bug because there is 'tmp' in the path?
> I tested also to put it in ~/tmp but then it is OK...

By design -- it was added because many of the processing providers
which rely on 3rd party utilities (e.g. grass, saga) put temporary
outputs there, and users weren't getting any warnings that these are
just temporary. Basically the warning which previously showed only for
memory layers has been extended to include anything inside the
operating system's temporary folder (i.e. /tmp, but not ~/tmp on
Linux).

Nyall