[QGIS-Developer] BWTA2017 grid support in QGIS >= 3.10

Thomas Baumann rdbath.regiodata at gmail.com
Tue Dec 3 05:57:27 PST 2019

Hello QGIS-devs,

in QGIS2 and QGIS-3 versions with proj<6 there was a support for the
BWTA2017.gsb-gridfile which is needed in the state Baden-Württemberg (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baden-W%C3%BCrttemberg ) in southwest germany
to transform between the former official crs EPSG31467 and the new one
EPSG25832:

https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/6980

For some time there was an issue about including the BWTA in the
proj-datumgrid.

https://github.com/OSGeo/proj-datumgrid/issues/22

The main reason why QGIS 3.10/proj6 cannot use the BWTA2017.gsb is that it
is not referenced in the EPSG registry so far but I will get in contact
with the LGL (www.lgl-bw.de) to ask them if they can make a changerequest
on http://www.epsg.org/EPSGDataset/Makechangerequest.aspx

For the meantime there are two pull requests which have been merged today:

https://github.com/OSGeo/proj-datumgrid/pull/65
and
https://github.com/OSGeo/PROJ/pull/1759 ( Even Rouault:"...As EPSG has no
entry for it, we create a grid_transformation, as well as a dedicated area
of use based on the extent of the grid, under the PROJ authority. With the
hope to be able to remove it once EPSG has an entry...")

@Jürgen Fischer: is there a change that you could "cherry-pick" the
corresponding pull requests and patch them into the existing PROJ release
used by osgeo4w for the upcoming pointrelease?

regards,
Thomas