[QGIS-Developer] Processing: questions on temporary files

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Thu Dec 5 07:24:42 PST 2019

Hi,

I got information from Matthias, that the new "Temporary Output Folder
Path" is only used by algorithms around GDAL, SAGA and ExecuteSQL, and
not for vector based QGIS algorithms. I don't know about GRASS -
probably this also runs through files?

I think we need to address this issue with priority, ideally also with
at backport to our LT version 3.10. Running large vector files always
through memory sounds dangerous to me. It can easily bring a system to
halt.

The question is, if the switch between memory only operations, or disk
based operations can be determined by software or if it requires user
intervention. Often, it is hard to guess in advance, whether an
algorithm runs out of memory or not. Certainly our average users would
have no idea about this.

I wonder, how other systems do it? As far as I know, FME always does
things disk based, to stay on the safe side - or am I wrong?

Greetings,

Andreas