[QGIS-Developer] Improve build times with ccache

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Mon Dec 16 00:02:22 PST 2019

Hi,

Ccache is certainly a good idea.

The other one is to actually keep several source and build folders in
parallel (e.g. release-3_4, release-3_10, master). I would recommend
getting familiar with "git worktree" which is an amazing utility to use
several sources in parallel, based on the same git configuration.

I quite often develop small fixes on a master tree with mixed patches on
top and then compile this mixed branch and do:

git commit

git worktree add ../my_new_functionality

cd ../my_new_functionality

git rebase -i qgis/master

# only keep the commits to be pushed

git push -u my_own_repo my_new_functionality

For small fixes here and there this is super fast to work with

Hope this helps

Matthias