[QGIS-Developer] Windows only version of a QGIS 2.18x plugin

Alexander Bruy alexander.bruy at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 08:25:04 PST 2019

On Wed, Feb 6, 2019 at 12:04 PM Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:

> On 06/02/19 09:42, Richard Duivenvoorde wrote:
>
> > If you prefer to put it in QGIS repo: just add a big note in the
> > metadata.txt description that this plugin is only usable with vesper and
> > windows. And maybe do an OS check in the __init__ for illiterate users ;-)
>
> I respectfully disagree with that: at the very core of the QGIS project
> it stands the idea of letting everybody use the best possible GIS,
> without discrimination. This kind of approach would in fact favour
> Windows users.

I strongly disagree with such discrimination based on the supported
OS. In the most
cases this is because some tools/libraries existis only for one or two
platforms and
plugin author can not change situation and have a choice to develop and publish
plugin for one OS, or do nothing.

There are quite a few plugins in the repo for very specific tasks like
converting local
data formats, plugins with non-English UI, plugins which does not work
on all platforms,
we even have plugins which make it easier/encourage users to violate TOS of some
basemaps providers (and even tagged it as featured)... Rules should be
equal for all.