[QGIS-Developer] Visual changelog of version 3.8

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Mon Jul 1 19:45:17 PDT 2019

On Tue, 2 Jul 2019 at 04:24, Andreas Neumann <a.neumann at carto.net> wrote:

> Hi QGIS contributors,
>
> Sorry about the delay of the publication of the 3.8 visual changelog.
> Responsibilities had been unclear. We want to publish the final version
> of the 3.8 visual changelog on the coming Monday. If you have things to
> add, please do it until Monday.
>
> For now I will link directly to the changelog site.
>
> For version 3.10, the changelog is already open, so you can immediately
> start adding entries.

Thanks for the warning! I spent some time today re-wording entries and
adding some polish. There's only a couple of empty entries now:

http://changelog.qgis.org/en/qgis/version/3.8/#allow-browsing-feature-list:
Denis/Matthias, can you please fix?
http://changelog.qgis.org/en/qgis/version/3.8/#postgres-provider-add-support-for-generated-identi
: Jürgen can you populate this one?

I also reworded entries to avoid the use of passive tense "A feature
was added which allows use of...", replacing it with the more personal
"WE added a feature... this allows YOU to...". I did this for a number
of reasons:
1. It's more exciting to read. Our releases ARE exciting, so our
changelog should reflect this.
2. It helps convey the message that we are a community of people, and
that features aren't just magically appearing in the app by faceless
drones.
3. It's all our hard work, we should be able to take pride and
ownership of it :D

One thing we could consider in future is mixing the sponsor messages
in the description. eg: "In previous QGIS versions you had to ... .
Now, thanks to sponsorship from ###, you can now directly import...".
This would help move the sponsorship credits from the footer of
entries up to the text itself, which would help us push the message
that "you also can get stuff implemented by being like ### and
sponsoring changes".

Nyall