[QGIS-Developer] Issues in Feedback state & auto-closing issues

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Sun Jun 2 19:27:57 PDT 2019

On Fri, 31 May 2019 at 18:00, Martin Dobias <wonder.sk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Nyall
>
> On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 12:10 AM Nyall Dawson <nyall.dawson at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I'd like to see the stale bot used for ALL issues too eventually - but
> > the timeout could be much longer for these than for pull requests.
> > E.g. 1 month for issues with the feedback flag, 3 months for
> > non-feedback flagged issues (with the stale message prompting them to
> > test on the latest release). We'd need to set the bot to skip any
> > issues filed by the qgib bot for the reasons you outlined above.
>
> Yeah that makes sense. For non-feedback issues I would even suggest ~6
> months since 3 months is not even a full development cycle. My main
> concern was whether this is possible at all with the current state of
> probot-stale to have different rules for issues and pull requests (or
> even different rules for different labels of issues).

I'm happy with either. To be honest, I suspect a lot of users would
"move on"/forget after 6 months, so that would be the maximum I'd like
to see.

> > And then for feature requests, I'd love to see stale bot posting a
> > message hinting to the reporter that the work could be sponsored, and
> > adding a gdal-style "needs funding" label automatically. We could
> > safely bulk-apply this to all open feature requests (including qgip
> > filed ones) older than say 1 or 2 months (we'd want to keep the
> > timeout short enough that the original poster doesn't just move on).
>
> Not sure how I like automatic addition of "needs funding" label. If
> someone has a good idea and just wants to share it with others, adding
> this label may deter people from adding more feature requests...?

Well, I figure it's an accurate reflection of the situation. A feature
request older than this will likely NEVER get implemented without
funding. If we don't go for a specific label, I'd suggest we make the
bot message say something like:

"Hey, your feature request hasn't been implemented in the 2 months
since you suggested it. That doesn't mean it's not a great idea! (more
likely, our developers are just busy with other priorities). The good
news is that YOU can still see this feature become a reality! Some
possible suggestions are:
- Dive into the QGIS code, and implement it yourself. If you've got
coding experience, QGIS is a fantastic, friendly open-source community
to contribute to.
- Pay one of the QGIS core developers to implement it for you.
Developers aren't necessarily volunteers, and often require payment to
justify the time they invest into the QGIS project. Our developers
LOVE working on QGIS, but they also like to eat and pay their rents!
- Run your own crowd funding or co-funding campaign and raise funds to
see the feature sponsored.
If you've any questions regarding how to approach any of these
suggestions, just ask below, and one of our team members will assist."

Nyall