[QGIS-Developer] SSL Performance Overhead

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Sun Jun 16 23:48:00 PDT 2019

Hi,

The documentation currently promises "massive speed-ups in PostGIS layer
rendering" with SSL disabled. [1]

I find some references to performance cost of SSL but they should be
compensated for with connection pooling which we use for quite some time
already.

Recently, the web is more and more encrypted - and that is very good! -
so I think we should also start to encourage people to encrypt their SSL
connections. Or at least certainly not discourage them from using
encryption by promising performance benefits.

Is there anyone who knows why this sentence was introduced? And if there
is (still) an issue with performance when using SSL?

Best regards

Matthias

[1]
https://docs.qgis.org/2.18/en/docs/user_manual/managing_data_source/opening_data.html#creating-a-stored-connection