[QGIS-Developer] grant proposal

Denis Rouzaud denis.rouzaud at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 00:32:46 PDT 2019

Hi all,

I'd like to share my concern about the grant proposal and voting process. I
believe we have some serious weaknesses in this process, but sadly I don't
have perfect solutions to propose.

First, I felt not completely honest while voting: I had 2 proposals and one
of my colleagues had another one. Can I be neutral and objective? Probably
not.
The only solution which came to my mind is to prevent people from voting on
their own or voting at all if they anything submitted. But looking at the
people actually writing the proposals, it would be a non-sense to prevent
them from voting as they are the most aware of the QGIS core code.

It made me think of how voting modifications of the constitution happens in
Switzerland: the executive is sending out voting recommendations. This
could be an approach, that someone (PSC? a dedicated group?) gives a
technical advice on the proposals. But here again, it might be difficult to
be objective and mostly politically quite risky.

This brings me to another issue: some proposal don't leave room for
technical discussion. On this part, I think that we should make writing a
QEP mandatory as it should be the place to discuss the proposal and to
raise concerns. What happens if a grant proposal is accepted but not its
implementation?

Cheers,

Denis