[QGIS-Developer] [qgis-server] Build gdal with external libraries for qgis-server

Benjamin Deregnaucourt benjamin.deregnaucourt.etu at univ-lille.fr
Fri May 24 02:38:32 PDT 2019

Hello,

I'm currently a student at the University of Lille, I recently gained access to some mapfiles so I'm not accustomed to qgis yet. I would like to use a map server to share these files inside of my local network.

I want my server to be as complete as possible so I did some research and I found some libraries such as kea, Mr.Sid or ecw which can be built with gdal in order to read different files' types.

I built gdal with kea and Mr.Sid which work on my server, however, when I used ecw with the free version of SDK and I completed the installation, I got a warning saying that ecw had been skipped in the server and when I added an ecw file to a qgis project, my project wasn't working anymore (request timed-out).

I made a mistake during the installation, ecw has a server supported version while I used the free desktop version. Does the skipping issue come from the difference between licenses?

Is it possible to build gdal with ecw and use it in qgis-server legally for free?

If it's not possible and in the hypothesis that I managed to get a license, will it be working properly once gdal is built with the correct version of ecw?

Thanks a lot for your time

Benjamin Deregnaucourt