[QGIS-Developer] Locator search results - double click vs. single click

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Wed Oct 16 23:22:06 PDT 2019

Hi Nyall,

Is there no technical reason for the double click? If not, then I would
suggest, single click would be better (if it is feasible to switch at
all). Most online tools (like Google search, or Web-GIS) have a single
click for the search results. I don't think that QGIS users care about
Qt creator's locator. >99% wouldn't even know that Qt creator exists.

Personally, I don't have a strong opinion on it, but colleagues at my
employer asked my "why double click?" and I promised them to find out
why it is that way. They said: wouldn't it be nice, if QGIS would behave
like most other applications when it comes to search ...

Thanks,

Andreas

On 2019-10-17 00:47, Nyall Dawson wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Oct 2019 at 18:34, Denis Rouzaud <denis.rouzaud at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Andreas,
>>
>> The locator widget result is a tree view. Results are triggered when the item is activated.
>> From Qt doc [0 [1]], activation depends on the platform (single vs double click).
>>
>> We could change this to use clicked (actually clicked+entered) instead.
>>
>> I don't know why it was built like this at first, let's wait for Nyall's input.
>
> I don't think there was any particular motivation behind the
> double-click interaction. I was mostly trying to reproduce exactly how
> Qt creator's locator worked, so that's likely what drove that
> decision.
>
> That said, we'd need to ensure we don't break keyboard only
> interaction by a move away from the double-click activation.
>
> Nyall
>
> Denis
>
> [0] https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qabstractitemview.html#activated
>
> Le mar. 15 oct. 2019 à 09:22, Andreas Neumann <a.neumann at carto.net> a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> We just had a Locator plugin developed for our organization. During beta testing it, my users asked why they have to "double-click" instead of "single-click" on a search result in order to get the chosen search result.
>
> For now I said them that QGIS core does it like this and that Plugins cannot or should not change this behaviour.
>
> But why is QGIS core using double click instead of single click? I guess there might be a reason ... Could you please fill me in about the reason?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andreas

Links:
------