[QGIS-Developer] Porting Create Grid algorithm to C++

Clemens Raffler clemens.raffler at gmail.com
Sun Sep 29 10:06:09 PDT 2019

Dear QGIS Developers,

lately I have been using the 'Create Grid' algorithm a lot on huge areas
and with a rather fine grid resolution. I was not surprised that
creating a very fine grid took a very long time as the algorithm is
currently implemented in python.

In order to speed up my work I decided to experiment a little with C++
(coming from a python background) development in QGIS and ported theĀ
algorithm to C++ based on other native algorithms. The code is working
very well, the grid creation process has been sped up significantly. I
would now like to contribute the code to the QGIS project so that other
users can benefit from the speedup.

Coming from a plugin development/ python background I have little
experience with the processes involved with porting processing
algorithms from python to C++ and wanted to clear some questions with
you before opening a pull request:

- Is there any reason why certain algorithms (eg. the Create Grid alg)
should not be available in C++?

- As I am not familiar with the processes how native processing
algorithms get committed to the main repository (pull requests,
prepare-commit.sh, sip, etc.), would anybody like to help/mentor/guide
me through this process and review the code?

- Are there any special requirements on testing infrastructure for C++
algs which should be implemented too (I have not worked with tests so far)?

So far, my experience with porting python algs to C++ has been very good
with Create Grid and I would like to work on other ports if everything
goes well.

Best regards,
Clemens