[QGIS-Developer] Custom label placement per layout

Spencer Gardner spencergardner at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 10:04:32 PDT 2020

I've loved the improved functionality for custom label placement in QGIS 3
but I've come across one issue that I assume is common to many users. When
a label is manually placed on the map, that placement applies to every map
layout regardless of scale or extent. This can create problems if, for
example, I'm working with a map document with layouts at different scales.

I'm wondering if there's a trick that would allow me to place labels
specific to a certain Composer layout so that I can vary the placement for
each layout.

If this is impossible currently, does it make sense to consider as a QEP? I
think there are some major technical challenges, not least of which is
figuring out how to allow a user to tweak label placement inside the
Composer window, but the improvement in label quality would be immense (for
me, at least).

Thanks for any thoughts,
Spencer