[QGIS-Developer] Inconsistencies in QGIS ini path

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Mon Aug 17 04:32:20 PDT 2020

On 8/17/20 9:23 AM, Tim Sutton wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 16, 2020 at 11:20 PM Nyall Dawson <nyall.dawson at gmail.com <mailto:nyall.dawson at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Sun, 16 Aug 2020 at 18:28, Tim Sutton <tim at kartoza.com <mailto:tim at kartoza.com>> wrote:
>     >
>     > PopOS Flatpack ini:
>     >
>     > <PREFIX>/QGIS/QGIS3/profiles/<PROFILE NAME>/QGIS/QGIS3.ini
>
>     > PopOS deb ini:
>     >
>     > <PREFIX>/QGIS/QGIS3/profiles/<PROFILE NAME>/QGIS/QGIS3.ini
>     >
>     > macOS all in one DMG ini:
>     >
>     > <PREFIX>/QGIS3/profiles/<PROFILE NAME>/qgis.org/QGIS3.ini <http://qgis.org/QGIS3.ini>
>     >

>     These ones are all following the operating system's guidance for
>     storing local configuration. Is this an issue? I'd expect most of the
>     configuration inside the user profile to be storing relative paths to
>     the profile folder, not absolute. If not, do you have examples of
>     settings which store absolute paths?

Hi Tim,

Only 'difference' I see is between the macOS and the other ones?
One thing to know it that because of the 'sandboxing' flatpack does not store it's stuff in the same place as a Linux distro does (in ~/.local/share).

Maybe there is some 'APPLICATION' name in the path's? And that differs on macOS dmg's?
Although:
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/blob/master/src/core/qgsapplication.cpp#L204
looks like it is a Qt thing:

 QStandardPaths::standardLocations( QStandardPaths::AppDataLocation ).value( 0 );

With me here (having both my own builds AND flatpaks), running:

QStandardPaths.standardLocations(QStandardPaths.AppDataLocation)
in the pythonconsole shows:
[
 '/home/richard/.local/share/QGIS/QGIS3',
 '/usr/share/gnome/QGIS/QGIS3',
 '/home/richard/.local/share/flatpak/exports/share/QGIS/QGIS3',
 '/var/lib/flatpak/exports/share/QGIS/QGIS3',
 '/usr/local/share/QGIS/QGIS3',
 '/usr/share/QGIS/QGIS3'
]

Can you test this on a mac?

IF it is different, I think it is better to adhere to Qt-standards then to build those path's ourselves?

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde