[QGIS-Developer] Inconsistencies in QGIS ini path

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Mon Aug 17 08:44:45 PDT 2020

On 8/17/20 4:56 PM, Tim Sutton wrote:

>     IF it is different, I think it is better to adhere to Qt-standards then to build those path's ourselves?
>

> Well the issue I am trying to highlight is that the config folder as currently implemented is not portable. I thought it was part of the design intent of switching to ini based configs way back that there was a homogenous system for managing configurations. Currently having <PROFILE NAME>/qgis.org/QGIS3.ini <http://qgis.org/QGIS3.ini> on a mac and <PROFILE NAME>/QGIS/QGIS3.ini on linux (curious to know what Windows does) breaks the principle of least surprise and means that your settings folder isn't portable between machines when it easily could be,

Searching for the "qgis.org' string in:

https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Mac-Packager/

There is:
cp scripts/org.qgis.build.plist ~/Library/LaunchAgents/
plutil ~/Library/LaunchAgents/org.qgis.build.plist
launchctl load ~/Library/LaunchAgents/org.qgis.build.plist

maybe that determiines the app-name? (org.qgis), so maybe we can make that QGIS ?

Would that help?

Regards,

Richard